Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
This Privacy Notice explains how The MEMIC Group (comprised of Maine Employers’ Mutual Insurance Company, MEMIC Casualty Company, and MEMIC Indemnity Company), hereinafter referred to as “we,” “us,” “our” or “MEMIC”, collects, uses, discloses, and otherwise processes personal information about our recruits and job applicants.
This Privacy Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations. This Privacy Notice also is not intended to replace other notices or disclosures we may provide to you in connection with your application for a job or eventual role in our organization, which will supersede any conflicting disclosures contained in this Privacy Notice.
What is Personal Information?
When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you within the context of you acting as a job applicant. It does not include aggregated or anonymized information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or reasonably linked to you.
Our Collection of Personal Information
During the recruiting process and when you apply for a job with us, we collect personal information about you, which may include:
- Contact Information: such as your full name, email address, home address and telephone number.
- Professional History & Qualifications: such as your previous employers, positions and work experience, professional licenses, certificates, skills or other qualifications, and employment references or referrals.
- Educational History & Qualifications: such as your highest level of education, the schools you attended and when you were in attendance, degrees, certificates or other educational qualifications you earned, and your transcripts or educational references.
- Financial Information: such as your previous or desired salary, bonus, benefits, expenses, and stock or equity grants, where permitted by law.
- Employment Eligibility Information: such as your legal eligibility for employment in the U.S., requirement for future sponsorship, or work permit status, where permitted by law.
- Equal Opportunity Information: such as age, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability or accommodation request, or marital or veteran status when you choose to provide it, but it will not be used in the hiring decision unless specifically permitted by law.
- Background Check Information: when permitted by applicable law, we may choose to conduct a background check in connection with your application such as to verify professional and educational history and qualifications or identify criminal history that may be relevant for a position with us. We may need to collect additional information from you to perform the background check (such as your social security number) and the results of the background check may include personal information we do not already have about you. Additional information will be provided in connection with the Background Check Authorization Form in the event a background check is requested.
- Web-Related Information: such as technical details about your visit to our online services contained in log files or analytics data relating to your usage and activity on our online services. For more information, please refer to the general Privacy Notice on our website.
- Other Application and Interview Information: any personal information you choose to share with us in your interview or application, CV, resume, transcripts or other supporting documentation, such as your skills, personality traits or motivations.
Although we often collect the personal information described above directly from you, we may also collect certain information from references, recruiters, job-related social media sites (such as LinkedIn), and publicly available sources. In addition, we may also collect this information through service providers and other third parties that collect it on our behalf, such as communications providers, scheduling providers and application providers.
Our Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect during the recruiting process and when you apply for a job with us to:
- Identify you as a potential candidate and review your application for a position with us;
- Verify the information provided to us in connection with your application or received from other sources;
- Determine your eligibility and suitability for the potential position or other opportunities with us;
- Facilitate the recruiting and interview process;
- Communicate with you about the status of your application or other opportunities with us that may be of interest to you;
- Assess and improve the performance and success of our recruiting and hiring process;
- Conduct internal investigations, audits, compliance, risk management, problem resolution and security operations;
- Fulfill contractual obligations to you and other third parties;
- Comply with applicable law, rule, regulation, legal proceeding and government investigations, including relating to tax reporting and immigration.
Please note that if you accept an offer from us, we may transfer the personal information we collected about you during the recruiting and job application process to your personnel file with us.Our Disclosure of Personal Information
We may share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes described below:
- Within MEMIC: We share personal information relating to job applicants and recruits within our subsidiary companies for internal administrative purposes and uses that are consistent with this Privacy Notice. For example, the MEMIC entity responsible for the job posting may share personal information about you with another MEMIC entity that is responsible for our organization-wide recruiting and employment decisions.
- Recruiters, and Job Application Providers, and References: We may engage recruiters and job application providers to assist us in identifying potential job applicants and processing job applications we receive. In order for these third parties to assist us in the recruiting and job application process, we may share personal information about potential and current personnel with them. We also may contact professional references you provide us to discuss your job qualifications.
- Background Check Providers: When permitted by applicable law and with your consent, we may choose to conduct a background check in connection with a job application, such as to verify professional and educational history and qualifications or identify criminal history that may be relevant for a position with us. In order to facilitate the background check, we share personal information about the relevant job applicant with trusted background check providers.
- Other Service Providers: In addition to the third parties identified above, we engage other third parties to perform certain functions on our behalf in connection with the uses of personal information described in the Our Collection of Personal Information and Our Use of Personal Information sections above, including assisting us with our recruiting process, personnel management, benefits and services offerings and other related business operations. Depending on the function the third party serves, the service provider may process personal information on our behalf or have access to personal information while performing functions on our behalf.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization: We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets.We may disclose personal information to a third party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction.Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors, and law enforcement and government agencies:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws and regulations or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us;
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person; or
- as otherwise required by applicable law.
- Consent: We may disclose personal information about you to certain other third parties with your consent.
Updates to This Privacy Notice
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will change the "Last Updated" date at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please contact our Director of Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.