What & Why
What is MEMIC EPLI?
It is affordable employment practices liability insurance (EPLI). If you are a Maine policyholder, you can select this endorsement when you buy your workers’ compensation through MEMIC. It is not sold separately. We offer it through our partner, London-based Beazley, a Lloyd’s syndicate and world leader in employment practices coverage.
It provides coverage for employment practices, including lawsuits arising from:
- Sexual harassment
- Wrongful discipline
- Negligent evaluation
- Wrongful termination
- Failure to employ or promote
- Breach of employment contract
- Deprivation of career opportunities
- Wrongful infliction of emotional distress
Who should purchase this endorsement?
Given the litigious and complicated employment environment we live in today, we believe any employer is wise to have this coverage. Nationwide, more than 40 percent of employment related lawsuits are filed against employers with fewer than 100 employees.
Who qualifies for this endorsement?
Nearly all MEMIC Maine policyholders qualify for this endorsement. Those ineligible include:
- Household staff (unless incidental) including NCCI Class Codes 0908, 0913 as well as 0909 and 0912
- Temporary staffing companies when the temporary staffing company is the named insured on the policy
- Professional Employer Organizations, or PEOs, where the PEO is the named insured on the policy
- Policyholders with more than 100 employees, per statutory limitations (MEMIC can arrange for coverage for employers with more than 100 employees through a special arrangement with our partners at Beazley. Talk to your insurance agent to find out more.)
What makes this product different from other EPLI available in the marketplace?
MEMIC Edge with EPLI is designed employers of all sizes. It is affordable and provides higher limits than many other products sold in this market. There is no minimum premium and the limit includes legal representation. The web-based resource that accompanies this endorsement follows MEMIC’s philosophy of providing education to help employers reduce their risks.
Because MEMIC Edge is directly linked to the workers’ compensation policy by endorsement, this novel approach allows these coverages to work together to complement one another, ultimately reducing risk in both areas.
It's easy! Contact your insurance agent and tell them you'd like to add to your policy. No application needed.