Work at MEMIC
Job Location - Maine
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for the review and appraisal of applications for insurance. The Senior Underwriter utilizes their knowledge and independent judgment to determine eligibility of risks when compared to program guidelines. He or she will also respond to questions from agents and policyholders as well as participate in surveys and studies by department to produce production and loss analysis reports as required.
- Review applications for insurance coverage, reports from loss control consultants and other information to determine if application is acceptable for the program(s) available.
- Evaluate the experience of a risk against the class of business under review.
- Evaluate the loss potential due to catastrophe, severity, and/or frequency.
- May rate policies or check previously rated policies for proper rating.
- Utilize knowledge of automated systems to develop information for new or renewal policies.
- Prepare quotations for agents and answers questions from agents, policyholder, or prospects.
- Assist agents with comments or questions about applications and the likelihood of acceptance by the company.
- Review requests for renewal, cancellation and endorsement. Also requests additional documentation necessary for the processing of an application, endorsement, renewal or cancellation.
- Enter and/or researches information through the use of the computer system and printed material.
- Assist the Executive Underwriter in leadership responsibilities when needed.
- Participate in department and/or company project initiative committees when requested.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum or 5-10 years experience in the insurance industry or equivalent combination of work and education.
- Ability to sit for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) certification a must. Other professional certifications a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills a must.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail a must.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player.
- Must be able to follow directives and standard accepted underwriting practices to ensure work is completed on time and in compliance.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Apply online or email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call 1-800-660-1306.